Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sep Diary ~ Life in Aberdeen, UK

Dear all at home,


Life here is very much slow-paced. Shops close early daily. Most shops close at 4 p.m or 5p.m. Except those bars, restaurant & some super markets close at 8 p.m. The street is very much quiet at night.




I don't see any tall building here...none can be found here..wonder why?


Mommy,
my cooking not as good as you. I just cooked simple dishes for myself. Something easier for me to buy, price reasonable & nutritious. 


My breakfast
Cereals/biscuit + milk


My lunch
Sandwiches or fruits only ( I diversify my choices,i.e. Plums, grapes, apples etc)




My dinner


Stir fried Sze Chuan Mee Hoon
egg + stir fried vegetables



Turkey & stir fried vegetables

Stir fried tomato penne + pork sausages

A bit to share...onion is in green colour; pork is fresher & taste better than KL; Mee Hoon is ready cooked;




Doing a master is tough, study approach is differ than in KL. You need to be more independent. Do more reading.RGU is very much advance. We have e-library & e-books/journals/e-lessons, everything can be read online, which I like it.  I have just started on my own.Well, from mon till fri I have class just 2 hours lectures & one hour of tutorials. That's why I think it's actually very very difficult coz shorter time study in school & more time I got to spend to study on my own.


I am still hunting for job here. Most retail shops told me to apply on-line. And some really ask for CV. It's a bit too much...after all, just retail jobs. sigh....
Today I walked in to a few hotels & asked for job vacancies. Hotels here not as big as KL. Indeed kind of small.


It's 10p.m now, I received a call from Jimmy Chung, I will be start my work tomorrow 1p.m. till 11p.m. Better than nothing, can't be so choosy now. Cheers!!! 


Week 3 03/10/2010


Working in a Hong Kong's restaurant is not easy. High demand. Drive me crazy..I dislike the bosses.


I have bought a winter shoes also known as snow shoes. There are two ways to wear this shoes: folded or unfold. Very comfy shoes as inside is covered with "fur". It costs GBP 22.50.






Something new & I have never seen before...super long & huge bananas




Those birds are huge in size...








This is how I did laundry..my new invention cum cost savings. Dry clean here costs GBP 1 & washing costs GBP 2. expensive!!! 
Step 1: soak/ wash using my basin &
Step 2: dry using my heater by hanging clothes =  dryer invention. My step 2 may take longer time. This is the difference.







My cooking menu:


veg soup + pepper 




This is sea fishes - fillet mostly available here...Balck bean sauce + garlic + ginger




10.10.2010
Gradually...I am getting use to life here. I think I have fell in love with Aberdeen. Except one thing, I really miss my family. Here is so much peaceful. People here are friendly. Not as bad as I thought in the beginning. Weather here is cold yet not as hot as Malaysia. No matter how long I walk, I won't sweat. This for sure. Now, thing seem not desirable to me is job, I want to yell as I haven't landed a job. Very worry ...
        At times I am struggling to listen to Scottish's accent. But people compliment me. Scottish people said I am good. In fact, I am not. Trying to blend into their accent, which I think may not sound possible to me.


Discovery...


There is a shop known as " Spice of Asia", stuff such as Milo & chinese spices can be found here. Just that, it's too much pricey. Look, what I have cooked...Chicken Masala & rice stick another version of my glass noodle. Personally, I think glass noodle taste better. Rice stick is substitute of my glass noodle. I think I should have stop taking spicy food, my pimple pop out. Gosh !!!
                                   Rice stick with masala soup base





Price reduction to 99P ...that's why I bought it to try.
Black berries...quite sour. Taste like sour grape
Masala fried chicken+spinach+brown rice


For the first time I boiled rice. Killing me...rice here need more water to get it cooked. Well, I rarely take rice in Malaysia. Thank god rice is not too much of my favourite. Taste not as great as brown rice of Malaysia.



17.10.2010


Tomorrow will be exactly a month I have been here. Time is flying..so fast a month I have been away from KL.I wish to have skype with you all, at times, I need to shout coz you all couldn't hear me. After chatting with you all this evening, I went to one of the Chinese supermarket known as Matthew's food. Phew, after a long walk I found the place !! As usual, I will google search for the direction before heading to the destination.


New discovery !!!


http://www.matthewsfoods.co.uk/. > click on it


Aberdeen don't have any China town here except this little chinese supermarket. Happy ...I found it.
They have products from  China, Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand & Malaysia. Price I think quite reasonable. I am so happy, I manage to buy tofu, oyster sauce, sesame oil, dumpling skin, Nestum, Mee hoon... Somehow, I didn't notice there is ikan bilis or dried prawn. 









I am missing all Malaysia's food. I watch you tube nowadays to keep updated on the recipe so I can make it myself.
Gosh... I feel like to have dim sum &  noodle. Mom, I am going to try to make "Shui kao"..shall see how it taste..hehe.



Stir fried British Brussels+ onions + soy sauce. Very hard, need to boil first only then can stir fry...



Ready make sauce ~ sweet chili + bean + tomato+ deep fried chicken with plain flour.









Shocking news...I have latent TB...unbelievable....Nurse do not allowed me to have further test. She said Mantoux test is good enough.. I am doubt with the test. Should I receive further medication. There may be side effects on me.Worrying.


Going to start new job as Aupair coming week...


Met the master of the family, he is an intelligent man & very successful. Look forward to meet the madam. Hope my lady boss is not a difficult person. She is going to deliver this December. I think I got to plan ahead for Xmas gift for the family. Believe it is a fun experience job but with load of responsibilities. Au pair has been one of my dream job those days...never thought it happened again,,,


Task 1 ~ cleaning work..anticipate & pray hard thing would be fine.
Can't get ikan bilis...soup base~ corn+tomato+pepper+soy sauce+onions

4 comments:

  1. Hey,
    Scotland is a great place. You can enjoy your study life, while work part-time to fill up your time, and earns some pocket money. Living cost is not that high compare to England. People are friendly.
    Weather might be a bit cold, or every cold since winter is just around the corner. How I miss Scotland..
    Have a New Life, HAVE A GREAT LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    Good job Sista... The tomato penne with pork sausage looked yummy ;) I think mum would feel more relief cos you know how to take yourself. Well, take your time to adapt the new environment. I am sure you'll get use of it later. 'Tambah Minyak" ya... Cheers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just shared with mum your blog... She like your tomato penne and black bean fillet... Hehehe ;) She also commented that your meal looked healthy lo... That was a great compliment from mum... Don't you think so... Haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete