Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December's diary ~ Life in Aberdeen, UK

22/12/2010 ( 3a.m)

Am studying in the middle of the night & enjoying my hot chocolate now!!! delicious...
Hot chocolate would be tasty if you know the tips of making it...I learned from those English boys...
Mix hot chocolate powder with fresh milk...yummy!!! try it...

I bought a medium size turkey cost GBP13 ...plan to cook it this 24th Xmas eve...still in progress..
Stage 1 : defrost it in the fridge

23/12/2010

A bit sad as I can't join my family for dong zhi celebration...

Still, I made my tong yuan > Pandan chocolate ...yummy. In exchange, Yu given me dumplings as North China people made dumpling to celebrate this Winter Solstice. Interesting..




I have let my other flatmates tried tong yuan, they like it.

24/12/2010

It was an awesome night....I organised Xmas party & my flatmates invited their friends. They were black & Indian.

I felt most content was the turkey which I roasted ...super duper yummy...my first time to cook turkey. Everyone love it. I read a simple recipe & watched youtube . I really love youtube with good teachers...thought me simple way to cook the big bird.

Here are the steps:

Step 1: defrost the turkey for 24 hours
Step 2: wash the turkey. Pat it dry with kitchen towel. Ensure the bird is 100% dry inside out
Step 3: the giblets & liver have to be taken out from the bird. And place them on the roasting tin.
Step 4: Roasting tin prepration ~ cut onion, herbs i.e. thyme & parsley, carrot, giblets & liver. Once done pour water into it for about an inch to make the gravvy.
Step 5: stuff the ingredients i.e. Lemon, herbs, carrots, onion from the neck cavity.> tuck the wing so it won't burnt & tie the bird with thread to make sure the inside stuff ingredients release aroma & keep the bird moisture.
Step 6: I bought the bird is basted, hence, save my time to baste. I just use Garlic > grind + butter to rub the outter skin of the bird...rub all over the body as this will give the golden brown colour.
Step 7: above step done, place the bird  ( fully covered with foil ) in the pre-heated oven at 190 degree celsius for 2 hours & take it out from oven to test-check. Juice must flow out from the bird. Use fork to test the turkey whether it is cooked. For last 30min, remove the foil entirely & let it cook in oven at 170 degree celcius. ( last 30min is the most crucial step, this will make the skin of the bird really crispy )






This is the easiest way to cook turkey ...2 in 1....gravvy now is in the roasting tin & ready to be served after it has been cooled for about 30min before carve.

Apart from the yummy turkey, some brought yummy dessert, i.e. chocolate fudge cake ( heat in the microwave) + ice-cream is really taste good!!

So much fun I had on Xmas Eve...happy!!!


Hehe.. I did something bad...I told my flatmates turkey costs GBP15 instead of GBP13.It's a pot luck party & cost sharing for cooking the turkey. I am a bit angry with those "looking at u" & doing nothing attitude. The medium size turkey super heavy & I carried the bird to my workplace & walked back to my flat...Disaster. The next day, Nidhi has helped to cut the ingredients. I washed the bird & given instruction what to do...keke..coz I did homework to cook the yummy turkey.

25/12/2010 > Wasn't special guest but  a maid ~ disaster !!!

Sigh, thought it was fun to have Xmas...but wasn't really happy with the Canadian family.

Thought so nice of her to invite me stay over...it is a nightmare!!!

Her motive is to get a helper instead...was invited as a guest supposingly through " Xmas Hospitality" event organised by church.

I was busy in the kitchen for a whole day & can only go to bed around 1a.m after had prepared with the table set up for the next morning...

The lady said she prayed to the god that send Mei  here to help..sigh...words came out ftom her mouth...then I realised I was being cheated ...I cooked another bird again!!!  At night, I even have heard she told everyone if anyone want hot chocolate, get Mei to help...of course, I know what to do lol...

In my heart, I was thinking if I were working for Ian, at least I got pay for more than what I suppose to deserve from those gifts. So much wanted to go home, but the lady seem not keen to send me back. What I can do was to stay another night > oh no!!!

On purpose, I don't wake up so early & pretend busy packing as I don't enjoy doing all those works to be honest...

Ended up, the next morning, everyone running late to church & I got to take bus home...

About Joy & Rodd family:
~ They have two lovely sons based in Canada. One grand daughter who is a HongKee.
~ Canadian style of cooking slightly different from English. Surprisingly Joy's family don't quite fancy cheese in her cooking.
~ Their house really a canadian, double-storey & with a separate garage. Like my aunt's house in Canada.


Something I like ...turkey stuff with Chutney+cranberries ( cooked ) + bread , Dolmino's game, Gift time ~They started with the socks first only then proceed with other gifts...



Smarties I have given to Zhun Zhun & white choclate I have given to Welly ( Karen's son)


So much wanted to try my decorated "little monster cookies". Unfortunately, those just meant to be displayed. Not for eating.
26/12/2010 ~ Boxing Day

I have attended two different familes of Xmas dinner. British & Canadian family, even though not too happy with the Canadian family, but, I am fortunate to have a wonderful & truly Xmas feel. Sad for some of my coursemates who just sit at home & do nothing.

I shopped H&M , M&S & NEXT...wow , good deal !!!


Coat from H&M GBP 20

From NEXT GBP 15

clothing from NEXT & the bag from TOPSHOP reduce to GBP 7

the dress costs GBP 5

I bought clothing from NEXT 3 pieces ranging from GBP12 - 15. Usually each on average price at about GBP 30 & above . Bought one for my sis, she doesn't like it, have shown her pic. So, I will keep that.

From H&M, I got 3 pieces of clothing, one black coat costs GBP 20 & 2 other casual wear at GBP 3 & 5 respectively. Those two am going to keep for summer or I can wear it when am in KL.

From M&S, I got many food stuff , i.e chocolates, flowers & gifts for Xmas. I think M&S has a very unique & variety of snacks which I like it a lot. Much better than ASDA.

31/12/2010-What a night? Again...

My next door flatmate & her friends are making very annoying noise. Disturbing me ...I really need a quiet night. At times, I have warned her twice, she accepted. But, now...

I really feel annoying. What I'm going to do is turning on my radio even louder than them so I couldn't hear them. I want them to feel the similar "pain" I'm suffering. Perhaps on skype as well, where I can shout. My family can't hear me well.

Those another  2 girls are not staying here though & they seem to be here as their second house. They cook & even overnight here.

It happened one morning, I was sleeping, one of her friend rang the doorbell non-stop, woke me lol...so annoying. I slept late & I need a good morning...awaken by the doorbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment